Security for decapitating/recapitating the squeak display?

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Thu Feb 14 15:31:37 UTC 2002

On Thu, Feb 14, 2002 at 09:07:25AM -0500, Stephen Pair wrote:

> > Wow, somebody is actually using the "recapicate" hack? cool.
> > Just out of curiosity, what are you using it for (a headless
> > Swiki perhaps)?
>
> Yes, well Swiki.net to be exact.  I'm working toward an initial release
> of the Swiki.net code (probably in a month or two).  We've just moved
> off of Windows and onto Linux and I'm using the capitation cabilities to
> make Linux Init.d style scripts to start and stop swiki.net in headless
> mode.  Then when I need to gain access to the Squeak desktop (for
> maintenance, debugging, etc), I recapitate it to the current DISPLAY
> using:
>
> 	service swikinet recapitate
>
> Works great!  Your OSProcess package is really nice!  I meant to sing
> praises in the original email, but forgot...very nice addition to
> Squeak!

Great, thanks!

So ... is this OK from a security point of view? I would want to make
sure that an arbitrary user could not figure out how to open the display
on an X server of their choice. One of my thoughts was that the recapitate
primitive may need to require a key or a password before permitting
the display to be reopened. Will Swiki.net need this, or does it provide
security for this through some other mechanism?

Dave