Squeak is doing a *lot* of gettimeofday()

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Thu Feb 14 16:09:56 UTC 2002

> On Thu, 14 Feb 2002, Karl Goiser wrote:

> > Aren't most modern operating systems and environments event driven?
OSs are usually interrupt handling, UIs are typically non-interrupt
event driven. Note however that nearly all of them (I have been assured
in the past that Be OS is exclueded here) require you (as in the
application) to poll for those events.

ie event ~= interrupts

In some cases you can have a thread that does the polling, in some you
can't.

> > Shouldn't Squeak be doing nothing most of the time?
Depends on what background processe you have. The standard image hase
several, including the animated mouse logo.

tim

Useful random insult:- If you give him a penny for his thoughts, you get change back.