Antwort: Mess with obsolete classes???

Boris_Gaertner at msg.de Boris_Gaertner at msg.de
Thu Feb 14 17:20:53 UTC 2002

Nathanael Scharli  asked about the obsolete classes.
To say it frankly, I do not know how they came into the
image. I only know that I do not like them and that I
managed to remove them all. I found that a mail posted
at Jan, 31 by Hannes Hirzel ("Reducing the image size by 38% and 50%")
was a great help. I think, as a first step, you should do what
Hannes recommends.

Then, "Smalltalk inspect" will show you that these strange entries
'AnObsolete...' are still present.  At page
http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/2176

you find this note:

<citation>
Squeak 3.2 has a lot of obsolete classes. Smalltalk inspect
reveals that the SystemDictionary contains (for some unknown reason)
not only classes that are keyed by Symbols, but also String-valued
keys. All these string-valued keys can be removed with these statements:

  | collection |
  collection := OrderedCollection new.
  Smalltalk associationsDo:
    [:assoc | (assoc key class == Symbol)
               ifFalse: [collection add: assoc key]].
  collection do:
      [:k | Smalltalk removeKey: k].

In my experience, this removes most - if not all obsolete classes. For
complete removal of obsolete classes it is seemingly necessary to
zap all project histories (?).
</citation>

That is also my experience. I think that is what you should try after
you did the image reduction that was advised by Hannes.

Cheers

Boris

msg  systems ag
Fraunhoferstraße 9