Mess with obsolete classes???

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Thu Feb 14 18:46:31 UTC 2002

Nathanael Scharli <n.schaerli at gmx.net> is claimed by the authorities to have written:

> The Smalltalk dictionary contains some keys starting with 'AnObsolete...'
> which point to classes. The first thing that is strange, is that the keys
> are strings and not literals. But then the next question: Why are obsolete
> classes stored in the system dictionary? (Doesn't the definition of an
> obsolete class say that it should not be there?).
Obsolete classes are normally kept around when there seems to be
instances of the now-obsolete class. If you change the shape of a class
and the existing instances cannot be converted, you end up having a
dummy class to provide a clean #doesnotunderstand.
As for the rest of your issues, I suspect it means that things have got
a bit confused over time.

tim
Useful random insult:- A one-bit brain with a parity error.