[ANN] updated Debian/x86 packages

Ross Boylan RossBoylan at stanfordalumni.org
Thu Feb 14 19:49:06 UTC 2002

Thanks; I've been waiting eagerly.  I have a woody system, and note
the OSS package says
depends: libc6 (>= 2.2.4-4), xlibs (>> 4.1.0)

Meanwhile, my system has versions
ii  libc6            2.2.5-3
ii  xlibs            4.1.0-13

Although I'm afraid I know the answer, does 4.1.0-13 qualify as >> 4.1.0?

By the way, is NAS related to KDE's aRTS?

Is there a reason the packages are in non-US?

The fact that both the debian packages and smalltalk use "changes" and
"sources" makes things a bit confusing, but it probably can't be
helped.

It might be nice to have a note on how you can mix and match the
different files, though the dependency info captures it pretty well.
As I understand it:
3.2 VM works with any 3.x series images and sources
3.2 image requires 3.2 VM (I note the current dependency is not
versioned, and it probably should be, since not everything works with
earlier VMS) and 3.0 sources.

If you have an existing image you almost certainly do NOT want to
apply the image update, but update from the squeak server to retain
your personal stuff.

Also, a note on the build history (i.e., did the source tarball, in
the debian sense, come from some intermediate stage of VMMaker, or the
CVS repository) would be good.  That may be there; I haven't unpacked
it yet.