UI Models

Bijan Parsia bparsia at email.unc.edu
Thu Feb 14 23:12:24 UTC 2002

On Thu, 14 Feb 2002, Gary McGovern wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm looking to categorise for myself the various UI paradigms
> available to Squeak. As far as I know there is:

Hmm. "UI paradigms" usually refers to CLI vs. GUI, etc. rather than the
implementation framework (MVC vs. MVP vs. Morphic)

> a)Domain model with orchestrating instance and application model with
> toolkit (morphic).
>
> b)As above without the toolkit.(mvc and morphic)

Er..I'm not following your descriptions :)

> c)Direct manipulation with scripting.  No domain model.

Why not? I mean, what about direct manipulation precludes domain models?

> Does anyone anticipate that the direct manipulation with scripting
> will be used in business computing or is it expected to be in the
> personal computing realm only ?

Hmm.

> Pluggable UIs aren't so clear to me. Am I right in thinking that
> pluggable components fit directly to objects within the domain model
> without an orchestrating instance and application model ?

Er...I'm not sure :) It does seem that pluggable ui built windows tend to
be assembled in their model's methods. I sometimes wonder if this is
really a wonderful practice. I don't know if there *is* a good methodology
for packaging together such instance focused stuff.

> I've been
> doing it that way but feel a little guilt as if I'm cheating :-)

Cheating schmeating!

Cheers,
Bijan Parsia.