why not source typeface glyphs on demand from the host os (optionally!)

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Thu Feb 14 23:37:10 UTC 2002

"David N. Smith (IBM)" <dnsmith at watson.ibm.com> is claimed by the authorities to have written:

> Dan:
>
> If the fonts are reloaded when the image comes up (or the 'application' needs them) then you always get a fresh copy of the best font that fits your specifications. If one needs the same font on two platforms, then one will just have to buy it for both.
>
> I sure don't mind having to reload a font on a new platform, or even load it every time I start up. It should go fast, and render only those sizes I've asked for...
Warning, warning !

This can be terribly tricky to do. Big question is how do you specify
'best fits'. Next problem is coping with total misses. Then there is the
potential problem of having several hundred fonts to scan through during
image startup. A few years ago VW had a terrible problem on some high end
HP workstations that typically came with around a thousand fonts. They
would take ~20 minutes to start up VW!

I would urge consideration of building a suitable bunch of
StrikeFonts from your chosen list and creating an ImageSegment.

tim

Strange OpCodes: SCEU: Simulate Correct Execution, Usually