why not source typeface glyphs on demand from the host os (optionally!)

Cees de Groot cg at home.cdegroot.com
Fri Feb 15 08:43:27 UTC 2002

Tim Rowledge <tim at sumeru.stanford.edu> said:
>A few years ago VW had a terrible problem on some high end
>HP workstations that typically came with around a thousand fonts. They
>would take ~20 minutes to start up VW!

History repeats - current VW barfs on a number of moder Linux installations,
because they have some 5000 (that's three zeroes, yes) fonts installed and the
default memory allocation isn't enough to scan that much...

>I would urge consideration of building a suitable bunch of
>StrikeFonts from your chosen list and creating an ImageSegment.

Yup. This might be a nice application of some on-the-fly-font-rendering code
and the fact that bitmaps are up for grabs - render your favorite font and
publish it on BSS :-).

--
Cees de Groot               http://www.cdegroot.com     <cg at cdegroot.com>