Interesting Language Search

Marcus Denker marcus at ira.uka.de
Fri Feb 15 12:31:36 UTC 2002

On Thu, Feb 14, 2002 at 12:05:59PM +1300, Richard A. O'Keefe wrote:
> 	Regarding 4a, I think a much better way to do this is with a multiple
> 	perspective architecture as in Goldstein and Bobrow's PIE system
> 	(done in Smalltalk at PARC).
>
> I have some of the blue-and-white reports; they are real gold.
> Unfortunately, very few of them are (as yet) available through
> http://www.parc.xerox.com/pubs.html, and I don't see PIE even
> listed there.  If it's "A Layered Approach to Software Design",
> then it's listed, but not available.  I've spent some time looking
> for an on-line copy of the PIE paper, does one exist anywhere?
> Is the software itself available anywhere?

The Book

 Barstow, David R.
 Interactive programming environments / eds.: David R. Barstow ....
 - New York : McGraw-Hill, 1984. - XII, 609 S.; (engl.)
 ISBN 0-07-003885-6

contains an article by Goldstein an Bobrow:

 Goldstein and Daniel Bobrow.
 "A Layered Approach to Software Design"

I don't know if this is the same as the xerox report.

Another interesting paper about "viewpoints" in Objects is:

Randall B. Smith, David Ungar:
A Simple and Unifying Approach to Subjective Objects (1996)
http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/smith96simple.html

       Marcus

--
Marcus Denker marcus at ira.uka.de  -- Squeak! http://squeakland.org