Possibly silly (newbie) question about "plap: X" = "plap(X)"

Maarten Maartensz maartens at xs4all.nl
Fri Feb 15 18:15:51 UTC 2002

Hello,

Having updated recently from 3.0 to 3.3alpha #4664 I notice that earlier
stuff sent to Transcript with "show: 'Text' " doesn't work anymore, while
"Transcript show ('Text') does. Also, if one finds "Transcripter" one also
finds it lists "show:" in the rightmost upper pane that list the methods,
but displays "show (anObject)" in the code pane.

Indeed, I find everywhere that the arguments of methods are now all in
brackets in the code, which is more in line with other languages I know,
but not according what I learned about Smalltalk.

Is there a reason for this change, e.g. of a semantical kind, that I have
missed? And is this now systematic i.e. any method listed as say "plap: "
in the code will have to get written as "plap (anObject)", and will require
these brackets also to work?

Regards,

Maarten.