UI Models

Gary McGovern gary.play at btopenworld.com
Fri Feb 15 20:10:45 UTC 2002

14/02/02 23:12:24, Bijan Parsia <bparsia at email.unc.edu> wrote:

>On Thu, 14 Feb 2002, Gary McGovern wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm looking to categorise for myself the various UI paradigms
>> available to Squeak. As far as I know there is:
>
>Hmm. "UI paradigms" usually refers to CLI vs. GUI, etc. rather than the
>implementation framework (MVC vs. MVP vs. Morphic)

Well, I was using plain English. paradigm : a typical example or pattern of something; a pattern or
model. (origin late 15th century, via late Latin from Greek paradeigma from paradeiknunai 'show side
by side, from para: 'beside' + deinunai 'to show' [Oxford English Dictionary]).

>> a)Domain model with orchestrating instance and application model with
>> toolkit (morphic).
>>
>> b)As above without the toolkit.(mvc and morphic)
>

>Er..I'm not following your descriptions :)

In the recent course I did with learning works and using OOAD (not UML) we were making domain
models that had an orchestrating instance. All objects could be reached from the orchestrating
instance and the UI would be send messages through the orchestrating instance. Actually, via the
application model to the orchestrating instance. The UI was made with a widget toolkit.

And for b) the same OOAD model but instead of using a widget toolkit, using a pen to draw the UI
widgets (that wasn't part of the course).

>> c)Direct manipulation with scripting.  No domain model.
>
>Why not? I mean, what about direct manipulation precludes domain models?

I think because its a UI. The domain model is separate from the UI. But if its possible I'd be
interested to know how. (hint).

>> Does anyone anticipate that the direct manipulation with scripting
>> will be used in business computing or is it expected to be in the
>> personal computing realm only ?
>
>Hmm.

Hmm?

>> Pluggable UIs aren't so clear to me. Am I right in thinking that
>> pluggable components fit directly to objects within the domain model
>> without an orchestrating instance and application model ?

>Er...I'm not sure :) It does seem that pluggable ui built windows tend to
>be assembled in their model's methods. I sometimes wonder if this is
>really a wonderful practice. I don't know if there *is* a good methodology
>for packaging together such instance focused stuff.

I didn't really mean to put UI components in the models methods. I meant without using an
orchestrating instance. I still keep the UI classes from the domain classes separate.

It's hard to talk about all these "paradigms" before mastering them. But be assured I will master them.

Any other feedback ?

Gary