[ANN] updated Debian/x86 packages

Ross Boylan RossBoylan at stanfordalumni.org
Sat Feb 16 03:16:54 UTC 2002

I've installed the new vm (oss flavor), and it seems to run.

I have no sound, but that's always been problematic; I only had it
some of the time before. I'm running alsa under KDE, with OSS
emulation enabled.

The installation did not automatically remove the previous version;
I'm not sure if it should have.  Here's the log:
wheat:/ms/d/download/squeak/LexDebian3.2# dpkg -i squeak-vm-oss_3.2.4653-1_i386.deb
Selecting previously deselected package squeak-vm-oss.
dpkg: regarding squeak-vm-oss_3.2.4653-1_i386.deb containing squeak-vm-oss:
 squeak-vm-oss conflicts with squeak-vm
  squeak-vm (version 3.0pre2-2) is installed.

I removed the old one manually, and then was able to install.  I also
installed the new image, apparently without incident.

On Thu, Feb 14, 2002 at 06:37:00PM -0400, Lex Spoon wrote:
> Thanks for your feedback, Ross!
>
> Ross Boylan <RossBoylan at stanfordalumni.org> wrote:
> > Thanks; I've been waiting eagerly.  I have a woody system, and note
> > the OSS package says
> > depends: libc6 (>= 2.2.4-4), xlibs (>> 4.1.0)
> >
> > Meanwhile, my system has versions
> > ii  libc6            2.2.5-3
> > ii  xlibs            4.1.0-13
> >
> > Although I'm afraid I know the answer, does 4.1.0-13 qualify as >> 4.1.0?
>
> I believe so....  The version numbers were filled in automatically when
> the package was built, and surely these tools are doing the right thing.

I read the fine manual, and think you're right.  It says that a
missing debian version number is considered to precede any version
with a debian version, so I guess 4.1.0-13 is strictly greater then
4.1.0.

[snip]

> > The fact that both the debian packages and smalltalk use "changes" and
> > "sources" makes things a bit confusing, but it probably can't be
> > helped.
>
> With sources, it's the same meaning: the "squeak-sources3" package gives
> you SqueakV3.sources.  There is no "squeak-changes" package, because the
> "squeak-image" packages each include the appropriate changes file.
>
> Admittedly the squeak-3.blahblah-1.changes is a Debian thing unrelated
> to Squeak.

I was referring to debian packages' source package, in which sense the
source for the vm debs is  squeak_3.2.4653.orig.tar.gz and the
associated changes (in the debian sense--the diff) and .dsc files.

Thanks for the info on versioning.  It looks good, but I have one
quibble: I think people might want several, e.g., 3.2 images for
testing, or because they had doubts about some of the more recent
updates.  Of course, that's all pretty hypothetical unless you start
releasing a string of updated image packages.

Thanks again.  Now I can try going forward in the update stream....