[FIX] (was Re: [BUG] 3.2g-4743 problem with lists in morphic)

Jim Benson jb at speed.net
Sun Feb 17 09:11:53 UTC 2002

Doug,

> If you do the ScrollPane/frontmost thing, the trick is figuring out
exactly what it should be in front of, which I guess could get hairy.  You
want to to be in front of other fellow morphs inside its parent composite
morph (often a SystemWindow), but you don't want it to pop up over totally
unrelated morphs (such as other windows).

> Also, it seems a bit shady that AlignmentMorph (newColumn) changes the
meaning of comeToFront/goBehind submorph-ordering so that it really orders
things vertically instead of front-to-back.  Although I guess this indicates
that maybe comeToFront/goBehind are really only intended to be used by
freestanding morphs/windows in a PasteUpMorph.

I've encountered similar problems playing with the windowing code. A better
solution for my stuff has been to set the a morphs morphicLayerNumber
property with a layer number, and then defining:

SystemWindow>>addMorphFront: as

addMorphFront: aMorph
 self addMorphInLayer: aMorph.

So that the window honors the layering effect that I want. In particular, I
used this when I placed 'real' resize borders that overlay a SystemWindow.
The resize areas 'sit over' the window frame and just a small part of the
content area. This allowed me to have things like a 'grow' area on the
bottom right hand corner of a window for example, and took away the reliance
on the order of how panes are defined.

Hope this helps,

Jim