Hierarchical Distributed Module System (was: [Modules] Braindump!)

Stephen Pair spair at advantive.com
Mon Feb 18 14:38:58 UTC 2002

(Pardon me if this has already been mentioned, I haven't read all of the
messages in this thread)

The DNS system is probably the best example to work from.  It's
hierarchical and distributed.  Every system has list of "root hints"
that explicitly lists the root domain name servers on the Internet.
>From these servers, all others can be located by traversing name server
(NS) records.

So, ideally, one could host their own Squeak modules, if they desire, by
registering with either the root "SqueakMod" servers or another server
that hosts a particular SqueakMod domain that you're interested in (like
People for example).

- Stephen