Hierarchical Distributed Module System (was: [Modules] Braindump!)

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Mon Feb 18 15:08:01 UTC 2002

"Stephen Pair" <spair at advantive.com> wrote:
> (Pardon me if this has already been mentioned, I haven't read all of the
> messages in this thread)
>
> The DNS system is probably the best example to work from.  It's
> hierarchical and distributed.  Every system has list of "root hints"
> that explicitly lists the root domain name servers on the Internet.
> >From these servers, all others can be located by traversing name server
> (NS) records.
>
> So, ideally, one could host their own Squeak modules, if they desire, by
> registering with either the root "SqueakMod" servers or another server
> that hosts a particular SqueakMod domain that you're interested in (like
> People for example).

Two issues come to mind about this.

First, not everyone can host their own ftp server.  In fact, probably
most people cannot.  So there should be some sort of public server,
anyway.

Second, this scheme is harder to mirror.  With a central server, mirrors
are very simple, and there are no internal links to update.

It's a pretty idea, but I'm leaning towards just having a central server
somewhere....

-Lex