Hierarchical Distributed Module System (was: [Modules] Braindump!)

Stephen Pair spair at advantive.com
Mon Feb 18 17:21:13 UTC 2002

> Two issues come to mind about this.
>
> First, not everyone can host their own ftp server.  In fact,
> probably most people cannot.  So there should be some sort of
> public server, anyway.

A public server would not be required by everyone.  In fact, the whole
system could be hosted on a single server...ftp would only be used for
the actual transfer of the module files...the name lookup would be a
custom protocol similar in concept (but better) than the DNS system (and
built in Squeak of course).  This allows people to have their own module
domains.  We could actually use the DNS system for this purpose, but
that would probably be a pain for people to configure.

> Second, this scheme is harder to mirror.  With a central
> server, mirrors are very simple, and there are no internal
> links to update.

Not at all...see above.

> It's a pretty idea, but I'm leaning towards just having a
> central server somewhere....
>
> -Lex

- Stephen