Impacts of the squeak garbage collector

Marcel Weiher marcel at metaobject.com
Tue Feb 19 00:47:43 UTC 2002

On Tuesday, February 19, 2002, at 12:37 AM, Scott A Crosby wrote:
>>> We *know* that increasing these parameters makes macroBenchmarks go
>>> faster.
>>
>> We *really* do?
>
> Yep.. Try increasing them, giving squeak a couple hundred megs of RAM,
> and
> running macrobenchmarks.

Well, I just tried it for the VM parameter 4, and setting that to 40000
was actually measurably *slower* than setting it at 4000 (135s vs.
130s).  The numbers of incremental GCs were typically around a factor of
10 lower, and the time devoted to incremental GCs also significantly
lower, but the total running time of each of the individual benchmarks
increased.

Also setting vmParameter 5 to 12000 (in addition to vmParameter 4 to
40000) further slows down the macro-benchmarks, to 148 seconds.

So this doesn't seem to be a worthwhile 'optimization', at least on my
system.  ( dual G4/1GHz, 512 MB RAM, 128MB allocated to Squeak).

Marcel

--
Marcel Weiher				Metaobject Software Technologies
marcel at metaobject.com		www.metaobject.com