Windows 2000 - a couple of problems

Bill Schwab BILLS at ANEST4.ANEST.UFL.EDU
Tue Feb 19 01:08:17 UTC 2002

Hello,

First, I've noticed that on Win2k (and even NT4), I'm getting a 10-15
second pause between asking Squeak to run and seeing the main
window.  It runs fine after the initial delay.

The other problem is something that I've seen only on 2000, but,
that could be more setup related than anything else.  For a
machine that gets its address dynamically (DHCP), I find that

NetNameResolver
	NameForAddress:NetNameResolver localHostAddress
	timeout:30

ends up returning the machine name from the control panel
concatenated with the domain (.anest.ufl.edu) one expects to see
around here.  When the machine has a static IP number, I can
"cheat" by giving it the correct name, but, when the IP number
changes, I'm at a loss.  Anybody else seeing this?  It's not unique
to Squeak.

Bill

Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.
University of Florida