[VM][WIN32] seeking advice on building VM

goran.hultgren at bluefish.se goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
Tue Feb 19 09:42:44 UTC 2002

Ross Boylan <RossBoylan at stanfordalumni.org> wrote:
[SNIP]
> Finally, while trying to get the source tree from source forge, I specified
> squeak as the project.  This got what seemed to be a win32 specific
> directory tree, along with lots of warnings like:
> cvs checkout: in directory squeak:
> cvs checkout: ignoring CVS/Root because it specifies a non-existent
> repository /home/andreasr/CVSRoot

This looks like you are checking out into a non empty local directory
where you have earlier unpacked
a sourcetree that you probably have gotten from Andreas in which he has
forgotten to purge out
the CVS administration subdirectories called "Cvs". :-)

Try to do the checkout to an empty directory.

> I subsequently tried "platforms" as the project, and I think this got the
> right stuff.  But I wonder what that other stuff is.

"platforms" is just an alias for "squeak/platforms". Check out the
"CVSROOT" directory and take a look at the "modules" file for other such
aliases/modules.

And yes, checking out "platforms" instead of "squeak" also gives you the
right stuff (but without an extra top directory) since the only thing
right now in the "squeak" directory is the directory "platforms".

regards, Göran