Squeak and Runtime Code Evolution

Bob Arning arning at charm.net
Tue Feb 19 21:28:14 UTC 2002

Huw,

On Tue, 19 Feb 2002 20:55:40 +0000 Huw Evans <huw at dcs.gla.ac.uk> wrote:
>I'm new to Squeak and was wondering if there was any work underway in the
>area of evolution of Squeak systems at run-time.  I'm interested in the field
>of run-time software evolution where part of your system may be changed at
>run-time, e.g., objects may be replaced with other objects, their types may be
>changed or both may occur.  I could not see any reference to this kind of
>change at squeak.org.

In Squeak/Smalltalk that's about all that *does* happen at runtime! Objects are continually replaced by other objects, code is replaced while it is running, whole subsystems may be added or removed. Also, the distinction of runtime is less useful in Squeak; every time is runtime for most users.

Cheers,
Bob