Windows 2000 - a couple of problems

Bill Schwab BILLS at ANEST4.ANEST.UFL.EDU
Tue Feb 19 22:33:32 UTC 2002

Andreas,
> First, I've noticed that on Win2k (and even NT4), I'm getting a 10-15
> second pause between asking Squeak to run and seeing the main
> window. It runs fine after the initial delay.

Just guessing here: Do you start Squeak by double-clicking
Squeak.exe?!  If so, Squeak will search for an appropriate image file
and that may take a few seconds depending on the circumstances.
Please try starting it by either double-clicking the image file (assuming
you've set up an association to Squeak.exe) or by dragging the image file
onto Squeak.exe.
---------
That was it.  An explicit shortcut did the trick.

> The other problem is something that I've seen only on 2000, but,
> that could be more setup related than anything else. For a
> machine that gets its address dynamically (DHCP), I find that
>
> NetNameResolver
> NameForAddress:NetNameResolver localHostAddress
> timeout:30
>
> ends up returning the machine name from the control panel
> concatenated with the domain (.anest.ufl.edu) one expects to see
> around here. When the machine has a static IP number, I can
> "cheat" by giving it the correct name, but, when the IP number
> changes, I'm at a loss. Anybody else seeing this? It's not unique
> to Squeak.

This appears to be a Windows problem. On the other hand: Why would
your
control panel have a different name for your machine than your DNS
server?! Seems kinda silly ;-)
---------
The problem is that the name one would choose is different each time
the machine boots, so it's hard to out-smart it.  Any ideas for how to get
around this problem?  My backup plan is to give the search engines one
more try and failing that, just talk to the name server myself =:0

Bill

Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.
University of Florida
Department of Anesthesiology