[VM] [WIN32] Notes on file handling

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Wed Feb 20 00:45:26 UTC 2002

Ross Boylan <RossBoylan at stanfordalumni.org> is claimed by the authorities to have written:

> Here are some things I've noticed while poking around building the Win32
> VM.  It seems several different models for file handling are competing; I
> think it would be good to reduce their number.
>
> The gcc and MSVC builds do different things with files. GCC says
> -DWIN32_FILE_SUPPORT -DNO_STD_FILE_SUPPORT
> while the MS .dsp file says
>   /D "WIN32_FILE_SUPPORT"
> only.  Both also define the WIN32 macro.
I'd have to guess that this is a bug that has crept into being due to
the MSVC stuff becoming near-orphaned overtime.

> As a result, the cross-platform sqFilePluginBasicPrims.c, which says it is
> ignored for WIN32, is actually used by MS builds (apparently--I haven't got
> anything to build yet!).  I note that file has a bunch of calls to things
> with Mac in the name, and I wonder if it's really OK to use cross-platform.
There are a couple of calls with rather mac-ish names that are
essentially legacy names. It would be simple to change them, but needs
interlocking with the Interpreter code since this is where they are
called. Hardly worth the effort.

> P.S.  How and to whom should I submit source code changes?  And is there a
> way to test a VM after its built to see if it's solid?
Excellent questions. You could send them to Andreas, since it's Windows,
or to me, since it's VM stuff and I'm the current volunteer to harvest
VM stuff. My ideal would be to have an email ID to play the role of
acceptor, then appropriate people could play that role.

As for testing, well, that's harder.

tim

In the battle between you and the world - bet on the world