Showing the essence of programming in 20 minutes to schoolkids - how?

Jerzy Karczmarczuk karczma at info.unicaen.fr
Wed Feb 20 15:49:31 UTC 2002

Andreas Raab:

> ... And voila! It
> works. You just wrote a program for your client that makes the car
> follow the road.
>
> And that's what you do. Solving problems by using computers.
>
> I think you could do the above with the kids.

I had a long time ago such an experience, and I am rather reluctant
to confirm that. NOT WITH 8-YEAR OLD.

It could work with older fellows, but, you see - 8-year old children
see no problems of that kind. At least the sample I had contact with.

I believe that the first voice in this discussion, about etoys, is  more
appropriate for this age.

1. Show that computers can hold THINGS which obey simple commands. Not only
   textual: Bunny jump.  grasshopper move. etc., but also *gestual*. Show
   that anybody, even a 5-year old Master can communicate with those
   objects.

2. Show that the objects are persistant, that the kids may do something they
   find nice, and
   a. they may send it to their pals. They may share it!
   b. they may *keep* it for a few minutes, or a week; they may change it.

3. Show that the environment is safe. That they can't really spoil anything.
   (Weeelll, we know they can, but keep that secret for a moment...)

Jerzy Karczmarczuk
Caen, France