making a window of fixed size

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Wed Feb 20 16:41:08 UTC 2002

> 	Well, there are just too many layout bugs to bother with resizeable
> windows in my application. I'd like to make my windows of fixed size. It
> seems one does that via SystemWindow>>maxiumumExtent: (which has no
> senders :) and Morph>>minimumExtent:. It doesn't work, though;
> SystemWindows to which these messages have been sent happily resize to
> arbitrarily large sizes.

Well, I kinda think SystemWindows don't fit into the rest of Morphic
very well.  Why do SystemWindows automatically resize when other morphs
don't?  Why do system windows have a title bar, when other morphs rely
on the halo?  Why do SystemWindows have a notion of being "active", when
other morphs are active all the time?

(By the way, here's a new bug: instead of SystemWindows not rising
enough, and thus getting obscured by non-SystemWindow morphs, now
SystemWindows rise too much!  Try putting a RectangleMorph in front of a
SystemWindow, and then moving the mouse around some -- boop, gone!)

So, I suggest trying your design without SystemWindows.  You may be much
happier, especially with the new layout support.

-Lex