[Modules] Upper case message names for accessing modules

Hannes Hirzel hirzel at spw.unizh.ch
Wed Feb 20 17:24:22 UTC 2002

Hi Henrik

> PS. Can't we find an even more minor issue to debate, to keep us from ever
> dealing with the important stuff?

I agree with the principle that important stuff should be dealt with
first.

But is the question of cross-referencing other classes
unimportant? Probably not. This surfaces rather quicky when looking at
the module system. It is a user interface question (Smalltalk programmer
seen as a user).

There should be a standard answer you could point people at.
(For example: "We don't discuss this anymore because Dan decided this
because of A... and B... explained on the Swiki page X").

There were big discussions last autumn and there is not yet a write
up of what you are finally going to implement. You did some efforts
on the Swiki I read with interest. They helped me. But they are not
fully updated.

Stephane was arguing from the point
of view as a university teacher of Smalltalk who wants to be able to
communicate a concept to students. And that's really a valuable point.

Going further I would say it's not a syntax question but rather a
semantics question if the same literal works in one case as a
message name and in the other case as a module name.

Putting this aside, which important issues do you consider members of the
Squeak list to deal with?

Some suggestions would probably be read with interest.
You have mentioned before that you would appreciate more cooperation of
members of the list. For this to take place a list of open issues
what other people can contribute given the actual state of
documentation would be helpful.

Or you could say that you don't like to be asked questions because
you need more time to concentrate on the implementation of modules.

Regards
Hannes