[Modules] Upper case message names for accessing modules

Chris Becker chb99 at msn.com
Thu Feb 21 21:13:10 UTC 2002

Although I like this form best because it is clean and simple ...

ellipse := Squeak Morphic Core Basic EllipseMorph new.

... the uninitiated Smalltalker will be confused by the ambiguity between
class names and module names. Although Morphic is a class, in this context
it's the name of a module. Core and Basic aren't classes, they're modules.
EllipseMorph is a class that we're sending the 'new' message to, so it's not
a module name in this case. Or is it?

Maybe something like this would clear it up ...

ellipse := Squeak modMorphic modCore modBasic EllipseMorph new.

Since I assume you are automatically generating messages for the Squeak
class that correspond to installed module names, couldn't you preface the
messages with lowercase "mod" so they still look like messages? This prefix
would also reinforce the fact that they are modules so they won't be
confused with class names.

Chris Becker