[BUG] Project saving hangs

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Fri Feb 22 03:07:13 UTC 2002

On Thursday 21 February 2002 06:51 pm, Michael Rueger wrote:
> Ned Konz wrote:
> > On Thursday 21 February 2002 06:34 pm, Michael Rueger wrote:
> > > I think what happened is that by moving the image the resource manager
> > > in the project can't find the external file anymore. There is some
> > > magic with caching and references (in the Squeaklets subdir) going on,
> > > so this seems to me to be the most likely cause.
> >
> > Does this mean that I can't publish a project that contains an image that
> > I once loaded from a (now removed) file? Seems like the Form itself is
> > still in the image; why would the external file be needed?
>
> Actually good point!
> The (historic) reason for this was to preserve the orignal compression
> of the form, especially jpeg as we used to be unable to write jpegs.
>
> So a fix/enhancement would be to derive the original compression from
> the filename extension and recreate the file if it can't be accessed.

The dangling references to external files worry me a bit. I'd like to
distribute programs as image/VM combinations, allowing project saving, and
not have to worry about whether external images might exist any more.

Where does the Form know about the external filename? I missed that part.

--
Ned Konz
currently: Stanwood, WA
email:     ned at bike-nomad.com