[updates] 25 for 3.3a

Dan Ingalls Dan at SqueakLand.org
Fri Feb 22 06:00:15 UTC 2002

Folks -

I have just forwarded 25 updates for 3.3a to the servers as follows.  Thanks to Scott Wallace for assembling and vetting most of these.

	- Dan
--------------------
4745scrollbarBtn-dew -- Doug Way -- 5 February 2002
A simple fix for the problem of the scrollbar thumb overlapping the scrollbar menu-button/up-arrow when you scroll up all the way.  It would occur in existing windows when the alternativeScrollbarLook preference is toggled.  This will also fix the problem in old windows such as the Welcome To... window, etc.  The fixed method simply checks which button is the lower of the two."

4746undoRecords-sw -- Scott Wallace -- 5 February 2002
Removes the intrusive dialog concerning undo records that usually popped up whenever 'Smalltalk spaceLeft' was invoked.
Instead, the user is given a separate command in the help menu for expunging command records, and the report ensuing from a spaceLeft request will simply *mention* the presence of extant undo records."

4747various-sw -- Scott Wallace -- 5 February 2002
* Fixes bug that had broken the ability of a Viewer to be opened on a non-morph object.
* Restores the feature that by default, the balloon help message seen in a Viewer for any method is the same as the method's own master comment.  For etoy scripts, the balloon help is provided by the literal tables (implementations of #additionsToViewerCategories) that define the etoy vocabulary; but for general use, e.g. when a Viewer used as a full inspector/browser for arbitrary objects, this becomes helpful.
* Makes debugger only prompt for save-changes-on-button-hit for the actual buttons that require it; buttons that launch a new window, for example, do not need or want the intrusion.
* Promotes #asMorph and #openAsMorph to class Object.  Try, for example, evaluating
	'Hello world' openAsMorph

4748dontComeToFront-sw -- Scott Wallace -- 6 February 2002
A recent change resulted in a damaging bug in the showing of textual source in Scriptors -- a mouse-over of the textual scripting pane moved the pane to the top of the scriptor, with disastrous results.  This update works around that."

4749designations-sw -- Scott Wallace -- 5 February 2002
* The bright 'designations explainer' you can get from the stack menu is now properly shrink-wrapped.
* The field labels shown in the momentary show-designations mode are now shown in blue rather than black."

4750FixPropLayout -- Andreas Raab -- 6 February 2002
Fixes a problem of proportional layouts incorrectly computing their minimum extent."

4751FixTranslucentStrings-ar -- Andreas Raab -- 6 February 2002
Fixes a problem when trying to draw translucent StringMorphs."

4752FixPolyBounds-ar -- Andreas Raab -- 6 February 2002
Juan Cires Martinez noted:
> To reproduce:
>
>  ((PolygonMorph new)
>          bounds: (0 at 0 extent: 100 at 100)) openInWorld
> A polygon appears on the upper left hand corner of the screen.  Drag to
> the center to see the droppings.  Subsequent drags don't produce the
> droppings, unless the drag starts partially outside the screen.
This fixes the problem."

4753xml-fix-mir -- Michael Rueger, Torsten Bergmann -- 6 February 2002
Fixes a problem with accessing elements of a document."

4754limitClass-sw -- Scott Wallace -- 6 February 2002
Fixes a bug that had left the limitClass of newly-launched Lexicons undefined when the target class was any of a few specially-handled cases.  The result had been that various functions in the Lexicon were broken until you manually reset the limitClass, a workaround no longer necessary."

4755menuButtonDrop-sw -- Scott Wallace -- 7 February 2002
A persistent menu with only a single item in it has the look and feel of a button, so the restrictions that make menus normally reluctant to be dropped into other objects should not, and now will not, apply to such menus."

4756Events -- Rob Withers et al. -- 11 February 2002
The NuBlue events code. Finally..."

4757EventsTests -- Andres Valloud -- 19 February 2001
Tests for Events, avec some fixes"

4758EventsCleanup-v3-3-2

4759FlashDupFix-ar -- Andreas Raab -- 11 February 2002
Fixes a problem duplicating flash morphs."

4760jMovieFrameSorting-jm -- John Maloney -- 11 February 2002
Two tweaks to JPEG movies:
  1. When creating a movie from a folder of frames,
     skip file names without embedded digits. This helps
     keep non-image files, such as the 'Icon' file added
     by some file servers, from being treated as frames.
  2. If a movie player was open in a Squeak snapshot,
     re-open the file on demand if the movie is played
     after the snapshot has been resumed. (The movie
     will resume from the beginning.)"

4761FancyNumFix-tk -- Ted Kaehler -- 15 February 2002
Fixes this problem, as reported by Scott:
*	get a 'number-fancy' from the Objects tool
*	dropp it into a stack
*	put it onto the background
*	tell it to hold separate data for each instance
gets an error, in method SyntaxMorph.variableDocks.

4762fileContBrFix-sumim -- Masato Sumi -- 17 February 2002
Fixes the bug (introduced in update 4590) that had made newly-launched FileContentsBrowsers in mvc ill-formed until resized."

4763customMenu-sumim -- Masato Sumi -- 17 February 2002
Allows CustomMenus to have target-lists and argument-lists, in support of the file-list registry architecture vis a vis the 'all possible services' menu.  Tweaks by Scott Wallace"

4764buttonWithArg -- stephane ducasse, masato sumi, scott wallace -- 17 February 2002
Makes it possible for pluggableButtonMorphs and pluggableButtonViews to pass arguments with the message sent when the button is pressed.
The button can be set up to obtain arguments just-in-time by giving it an argumentSelector and an argumentProvider.
For example in the RegisteringFileList, the fileList needs to call FileStream with #fileIn: and passing as argument the currently selected file"

4765FileListFix-sd -- stephane ducasse -- 14 February 2002
Fix some problems with the registering file list
The protocol changed also.
Now any tools have to implement on its class side
the methods:
	services that returns all the services provided
	ˆfileReaderServicesForFile: fullName suffix: suffix that given a full name file and its suffix returns appropriate services.
Note that the services will be invoked passing the fullname of the selected file.
Read preamble of 4684 for more information.
Known problems:
the registration of a tool (when loaded in the image)
is done via the class initialize method.
Some classes like GZipReadStream already implement such method hence it is impossible to define an initialize method that could be unloaded when the tools would be unloaded. This means that the modules system will have to provide some mechanism so that multiple class extensions can be executed at load time
This is for example true for the following classes:
GZipReadStream, Morph, SWikiPage and Wonderland

4766fileListTweaks-sw -- Scott Wallace -- 17 February 2002
Tweaks following the incorporation of file-list-registry updates from Stephane and Masato.
The file-list button pane (in morphic) now dynamically offers buttons that are appropriate to the suffix of the selected file.
Items in the code pane menu of the FileList that apply to the file as a whole (rather than the current selectioin) -- view hex, get entire file, etc., are restored (they'd gotten temporarily lost) and now only those items that specificially apply are offered.
Abbreviated item wordings when used in buttons.
Some wordings and help messages tuned.
etc."

4767exportJPG-sw -- Scott Wallace -- 20 February 2002
Adds option to export via jpeg to the export menu for morphs"

4768chgDir-sw -- Scott Wallace -- 21 February 2002
Further fileList fix -- when the directory is changed, reconfigure the button pane."

4769tileFixes-sw -- Scott Wallace -- 20 February 2002
Concerning 'classic' tile scripting:
* Phrases with reference-valued arguments, when getting prepared for immediate execution by the yellow ! 'do-it' button, had been getting compiled with the wrong referent; this is now fixed.
* Makes scaleFactor work more reasonably in the problematical case of scaled but unflexed SketchMorphs.
* Make the Dot (which provides a plausible sample-value for any reference-valued slot or reference-valued argument) now be rather more noticeable -- and much less likely to be grown to huge scaleFactor that might cause problems when it's applied to a much larger graphic after a costume change.
* Fixes the bug that if an object were renamed to a non-legal-symbol name *after* a uniqueNameForReference had already been given out for it, the new name was not vetted for legal format before it blithely got replaced in the References dictionary -- this could lead to quite a dizzying variety of errors.
* Include the look-like tiles in the graphics category (formerly had only been in 'miscellaneous'.)
* Bulletproofs MessageSend.value against nil arguments -- for some reason an error condition has recently been arising sporadically during routine Scriptor use, with nil arguments always the cause.
CAUTION: the Squeakland update stream requires a different version of this update.  This changeset is for mainstream Squeak 3.3a, *not* for Squeakland."