[Goodie] async message queues (was RE: passing cmds up from the VM, was pending mac vm 3.2.4)

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Fri Feb 22 06:45:43 UTC 2002

>Gee, this is all so much work for what seems so simple on the face of
>it.
>
>-Lex

You know I've some code about that makes an interpreter use a
structure, versus globals, you know I was thinking what if we make
the interpreter a plugin, then you could call it and give it work,
then it returns with the work done.

The object here is running smalltalk code from C code. Now I realize
the context of execution isn't the caller smalltalk image, but does
that matter? Er I could use sockets to move data between the two
images. The netscape plugin image for example runs in microsteps so
we just halt the plugin vm and run the main vm, or perhaps both on
two thread...

Oh just a thought, maybe it's easier.

However if we recall the original issues was to pass quit events, or
some other type of process up from the platform specific VM code so
that we can take action within the image.