Modules and class organization

goran.hultgren at bluefish.se goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
Fri Feb 22 08:52:43 UTC 2002

Luciano Notarfrancesco <lnotarfrancesco at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Just a few questions:
>
> Why are there different modules for Numbers, Proceses and Collections?
> Intuitively, I would think that the minimal subset of the image (which
> probably coincides with ANSI Smalltalk) should be grouped in a single
> Core module.

Don't have any good answer to this one. Henrik?

> Is there any reason for having so many modules? Or it's just a
> consecuence of the automatic mapping from class categories to modules

Could be.

> Have we definitely lost class categories? As I see them, modules and
> class categories are enterely different concepts.

Well, I think there have been some discussion on this but with no real
conclusion.
The concepts could map differently but in most cases they would probably
map very
similarly and do we then really NEED both?

It might become a little bit complicated if we have both concepts. I
don't think most
other languages (those I know) have more than one way of grouping
classes.

> I'm sorry if I'm too late for this discussion, or if this has already

Nothing is too late! And we can always change stuff later too! That is
actually something
we should note - even though we don't all agree with ALL the details
right now it would
perhaps be better if we just "accepted" Henrik's model for now - get it
up on the road and THEN
we can tweak the living daylite out of it if we decide too. :-)

But discussions are always ok - we all learn something from them.

regards, Göran