[Goodie] async message queues (was RE: passing cmds up from the VM, was pending mac vm 3.2.4)

Marcel Weiher marcel at metaobject.com
Fri Feb 22 09:04:25 UTC 2002

On Friday, February 22, 2002, at 01:43 AM, Lex Spoon wrote:

[snip]

> While these queues make sense (well, certainly the incoming one does;
> maybe the outgoing one isn't that useful), you also need to re-invoke
> interpret() recursively if the C function is waiting for a return value.
>

> Gee, this is all so much work for what seems so simple on the face of
> it.

Yes, though I think it would be great to restructure Squeak to be
callable eventually.

However, in the meantime, a simple event-based mechanism would actually
be quite useful.  For example, I would like to be able to tell the image
to 'save' and 'quit'.  I could just introduce hard-coded events, but
just a little more flexibility/dynamicism wouldn't hurt.  So what I am
looking for isn't reall a generalized call-in facility, but a slightly
extended event mechanism.  Another nice aspect of beging event-based is
sending messages to the current active/selected/focused morph/object.

I've already coded up the basic skeleton for this (new MessageEvent
class, some VM-side additions etc.) and will now flesh this out.

Marcel

--
Marcel Weiher				Metaobject Software Technologies
marcel at metaobject.com		www.metaobject.com