[Modules] Upper case message names for accessing modules

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Fri Feb 22 13:57:42 UTC 2002

> PS. Finally moved over to a FREE Dekstop! So nice. Running Debian Woody,
> 2.4.17, ALSA (Phew - that was a bit tricky) and KDE (for starters).
> Finally I can begin to build those VMs! :-) Lex, if you are reading this
> - what do I need to do for sound? Nas or OSS? I saw that the .debs had
> two VMs for that. DS

OSS is the easy answer.  Just be sure to turn on OSS emulation in your
fine ALSA setup.

NAS is a sound server and is superior, but you would first have to set
up NAS.  With NAS, for example, you can have multiple programs sharing
the audio device.  NAS is also more portable, though that's not a real
concern for Linux users in particular.

My computer is pretty funny at this point: ALSA at the base (agreed --
more trouble than you'd think!), with OSS emulation, which in turn is
used mainly to run a NAS server, which is what most applications use for
playback.  *But*, since there aren't that many NAS programs around, I
frequently use "audiooss" and allow application to *think* they are
talking to OSS.

-Lex