[ANN] [GOODIE] rST - Remote Smalltalk

Bergel Alexandre bergel at iam.unibe.ch
Fri Feb 22 16:08:48 UTC 2002

[snipped]
> The framework support pass objects by copy or by reference.  The problem only occurrs with "by copy" option, becouse in the "by reference" all the messages are processed in the image where the objec lives.  The final goal is to interoperate with diferents smalltalks, so the problem to send the class to the other side is a REAL problem.
[/snipped]

This problem may arise often.
For example, if you have a reference for a remote object, and you perform a method call, if the result is an instance of a class not present in the system, there is some troubles.

I think modules can really help here. I mean, if an object has a class which not exists on the client system. We should provide a way for getting the module of this class, and then load up the module, and other dependent modules.

Also, for resolving new concept, as migration, I think we have to formulate *first* a problem. I mean, I have developed a Raytracer application. I have make RendererEngine as "Active Objects" (kind of remote object, as you have). Ok, very good. But I have build this application on the library given. This works, yes, but I am not sure if I have resolved any problem. But here, I am perhaps a little bit far from our case.

> >I have works for a good while on a similar system for Java. So perhaps I can contribute to go further.
>
> Of course! just tell me what do you want to do...

I think module management for resolving the case if class is not present sound good. What do you and others think ?

Regards,
Alexandre

--
Bergel Alexandre  http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~bergel