[ANN] [GOODIE] rST - Remote Smalltalk

Masashi Umezawa umejava at mars.dti.ne.jp
Sat Feb 23 07:17:51 UTC 2002

Hi,

----- Original Message -----
From: "Diego Gomez Deck" <DiegoGomezDeck at ConsultAr.com>
To: <squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org>
Sent: Saturday, February 23, 2002 12:15 AM
Subject: Re: [ANN] [GOODIE] rST - Remote Smalltalk

> Hi,
>
> >Really good. So, actually rST looks like RMI for Java. That's cool.
> >What do you have plan to do next ?
>
> The folowing steps are:
> 1) remote garbage collector (in progress)
> 2) replace the squeak serialization for other thing. I plan to port to
others smalltalks and we need an serialization multi-smalltalk

If you are planning to replace squeak specific serialization with more
interoperable one, just take a look at CampSmalltalk's SRP (State
Replication Protocol).

http://wiki.cs.uiuc.edu/CampSmalltalk/About+State+Replication+Protocol+(SRP)

It defines standard way to serialize Smalltalk objects.

Implementations for many Smalltalks(including Squeak) are available at:
http://www.effectnet.com/pbaumann/index.html

I will adopt this serialization protocol to my SOAP. (Currently SoapOpera
supports Squeak specific encoding and SOAP Encoding, so SRP will be the
third option).

Best regards,
---
[:masashi | ^umezawa]