External plugins on OS X

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Sun Feb 24 21:46:27 UTC 2002

John M McIntosh <johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com> is claimed by the authorities to have written:

> Mmmm or within the application bundle itself, also for the image/change set.
>

> Actually I should look into this. As the os-x people know the squeak
> vm.app is really a directory and could contain an image, changeset
> and plugins. Then you just move the app around without concern about
> losing pieces.
This is one of those places where Apple were smart enought to copy the
ancient Acorn way of handling apps. Being able to keep _all_ the
essential files in one place makes life much simpler. Uninstalling
becomes 'delete directory' with none of this nonsense of mangling some
stupid registry. I wish they'd copy more of the useful Acorn ideas.

There is one Squeak related issue that I think (still) needs fixing to
life cleanly with this though. Last time I looked it was impossible to
save an image in some directory other than where it came from and thus
having a clean default image within the app directory was unusable.
What you really need to have is a way to start a clean image and insist
on it being saved in a working directory immediately so that the clean
one stays clean. I actually submitted code for this about five years
ago.

tim
Every program in development at MIT expands until it can read mail.