3.2 VM building...

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Mon Feb 25 01:54:08 UTC 2002

Kevin Fisher <kgf at golden.net> is claimed by the authorities to have written:

> Hi Folks:
>
> I've just only gotten around to trying to build a 3.2 VM.  I've been playing
> with VMMaker, and with some effort, I got a VM to build.  2 questions
> arose, however:
>
> 1) squeakFileOffsetType
> This was undefined when I tried to build gnu-interp.c.  After checking
> the mail archives, I noticed someone suggested setting it to:
>
> #define squeakFileOffsetType off_t
>
> So, I set this and it compiled fine.
>
> Is this a correct assumption?  I'm running an old Mandrake install on
> a PIII..I'm not really clear on what this should be set to.
If you have the correct files from SourceForge you should find that your
copy of platforms/unix/vm/sqPlatformSpecific.h contains the line
typedef off_t squeakFileOffsetType;

If it doesn't, you don't.

> 2) The generated ./src tree that VMMaker spits out seems to only create
> the plugin and interpreter files.  Where do I find the rest?
In the platforms tree. Unix (and Mac, and soon windows and Acorn)
doesn't need those files copied anymore. The makefile handles all the
paths. There were strong objections to the copying and so it was
changed. You'll find some details in the changeset preamble, and more on
the various VMMaker pages on the swiki.  You should be using the
VMMAker-3-2-version5.4.cs at the moment, which does have one known bug
that doesn't affect unix.

tim
In the battle between you and the world - bet on the world