A better name for the class Project, was: Re: [BUG][Modules] Finding class Project

Henrik Gedenryd h.gedenryd at open.ac.uk
Mon Feb 25 09:02:27 UTC 2002

Hannes Hirzel wrote:

> As I learned from your answer to Alexandre there is a module called
> #Project as well as the class called #Project. Do you plan to unify
> these two in the future?

I had the idea that we ought to change the name of Projects (as in the
class) because I think it is too generic a term to describe what they really
are. As the term Project was introduced by the SqC folks, I could never
figure out quite what they had in mind until I read the implementation. And
that is a good hint that there is a naming problem I guess.

The class uses the term Project as it is used at the open charter school in
LA (I am guessing, cf. the school term "science project") rather than the
sense of Project in the rest of the Squeak world. They are really vehicles
for holding objects (drawings, demos, etc.), as opposed to code.

So the best definition of Project that I could come up with was "the type of
thing you create on a Dynabook". But that is a bit long for a class name! It
was hard to come up with a name for this and the best I could come up with
was that they are Creations, as in "The Act of Creation" by Arthur Koestler.
(I.e. you can save and share your "creations" via the superswiki.) Perhaps
Alan has any thoughts on this?

So I had one horrible candidate name, Content (cf. the term "content
provider") and another one, Creation which may be closer to the Dynabook
idea.

Perhaps "Worksheet" wouldn't be so bad? At least it captures what the class
Project actually does. It collects objects (and code) that you create.

I think there is a discussion of this somewhere linked from the Modules page
on the swiki (can't access it right now).

Henrik