Modules and class organization

Henrik Gedenryd h.gedenryd at open.ac.uk
Mon Feb 25 09:02:27 UTC 2002

Luciano Notarfrancesco wrote:

> Why are there different modules for Numbers, Proceses and Collections?
> Intuitively, I would think that the minimal subset of the image (which
> probably coincides with ANSI Smalltalk) should be grouped in a single
> Core module.
>
> Is there any reason for having so many modules? Or it's just a
> consecuence of the automatic mapping from class categories to modules?

Different strokes for different folks. This is the module granularity that
you think is natural, others may have different needs.

So a hierarchical organization allows one person to just import #(Squeak
Language Core Numbers), another one to use #(Squeak Language Core) and get
all of them, and a third person, say, import #(Squeak) and get everything
under it.

> Have we definitely lost class categories? As I see them, modules and
> class categories are enterely different concepts.

Well, 1) they were very similar to modules, and some people submitting code
think it is too much work to give their classes proper categories, so how
would we get them to use two things properly ;-)

Seriously, two so closely related concepts seemed redundant and potentially
confusing. Also, now you can have any annotation for any entity, not just
class categories for classes.

2) It lets us not have to rewrite every tool in the system. This was a *big*
win. There would not be any modules code right now if this wasn't the case.
(Making the browser only see the classes visible from your current module is
not a good solution. You would end up shifting your settings all the time.)

Henrik