Updating BC to 3.3alpha (was: [BC][FIX] Block Closures, Version 2 Fix)

Anthony Hannan ajh18 at cornell.edu
Mon Feb 25 22:31:48 UTC 2002

PhiHo Hoang <phiho.hoang at rogers.com> wrote:
> Does Block Closures, Version 2 supports Squeak 3.3 Alpha with modules ?
> My current image now is at update 4716. The system chokes at
> update 4717CharBlockScannerFix-slg.(Syntax Error: 'DummyReceiverClass as
> yet unclassified' in the upper pane, then 'Unmatched comment quote
> ->"Change' in the lower pane)

I see the problem.  Changeset 4717 is missing a closing quote on its
preamble.  That is what produces the syntax error.  For some reason the
standard image does not choke on this syntax error but BC does.  To work
around it add the closing quote in the Syntax Error window (and remove
the "Unmatched comment quote ->" tag), save, and then proceed through
the notifier.

If your using the pre-converted image, before getting updates you have to
change "SystemVersion current" version to 'Squeak3.3alpha' and rollback
its highestUpdate to 4653 before getting 3.3alpha updates.  You also
have to remove all number above 4653 in its updates set.  (PhiHo might
have figured this out already).  The next time I put up a pre-converted
image, I will only update it to 3.2alpha-4652, so you can easily go to
3.2gamma or 3.3alpha (or maybe I'll post both image versions).

> BTW, will you incorporate Scott's enhancements into next version of BC ?

Yes, but I'm going to call that VM "BC++" to distinguish it from core BC
changes.

> P.S: Does any one know if I can bypass that changeset to proceed to the next ones ?

See above.

Cheers,
Anthony