mac os-x -> Need multiple button mice with scroll wheel

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Tue Feb 26 03:22:08 UTC 2002

>On Monday 25 February 2002 12:45 pm, Markus Fritsche wrote:
>>  > This would be better than the current scheme used in the Unix (and
>>
>>  Windows?)
>>
>>  > VMs for the scroll wheel, which send Up or Down keystrokes.
>>
>>  Correct me, if I'm wrong, but with XFree86, the mouse wheel becomes
>>  button 4 and 5. If you're using imwheel, the mousewheel emulates up-
>>  and down keystrokes.
>
>Why bother using imwheel? The wheel support I added to the Unix VM just gets
>button 4 or 5 events from X and passes them up to the image as Up or Down
>keystroke events, since there was no representation of mouse wheel actions in
>the image.
>
>--
>Ned Konz
>currently: Stanwood, WA
>email:     ned at bike-nomad.com
>homepage:  http://bike-nomad.com

Well I wasn't too interested in converting them to up or down
keystrokes because I need to write C code for that. What if you did
that in the image somewhere? Besides my thought was that if really
want the raw data to do something else with that could be more
intresting than scrolling then it's easier if you have the raw data
about.