mac os-x -> Need multiple button mice with scroll wheel

Doug Way dway at riskmetrics.com
Tue Feb 26 17:07:23 UTC 2002

Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> On Mon, 25 Feb 2002, Ned Konz wrote:
>
> > The wheel support I added to the Unix VM just gets button 4 or 5 events
> > from X and passes them up to the image as Up or Down keystroke events,
> > since there was no representation of mouse wheel actions in the image.
>
> Oops! You added that, too? In my version (that made it into Ian's code at
> some point) the wheel sends ctrl+up/down, not just up/down keystrokes, to
> distinguish them from normal key presses ...

The mouse wheel in the Windows VM also sends Ctrl-up/down events, which is definitely more appropriate than plain up/down events.  (I haven't looked at the VM code, but the scroll wheel has identical behavior to pressing ctrl-up-arrow or ctrl-down-arrow.)  In the image, ctrl-up-arrow has the effect of scrolling a scrollpane up a few lines, without moving the text cursor, which is also what a scroll wheel should do.

- Doug Way
  dway at riskmetrics.com