[UNIX][VM] config file (was: Re: SerialPort cross-platform question...)

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Wed Feb 27 14:59:21 UTC 2002

"David T. Lewis" <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 27, 2002 at 12:35:52PM +0100, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> >
> > OTOH, a config file would be nice, indeed. How about "/etc/squeakrc",
> > overridable by a "$(HOME)/.squeakrc"? Or, do we want to have a
> > "$(HOME)/.squeak/" directory?
>
> For consistency, it would be "/etc/squeak.conf", overridable
> by "$(HOME)/.squeakrc". Unfortunately, a small amount of VM support
> would be needed, as Squeak does not currently know the location of
> the $(HOME) directory. This could be added in the form of one new
> primitive (primitiveUserHomePath).

Well this is *VM* configuration.  If it's useful in the image, let's not
do it in this low-level configuration file.

Anyway, this whole scheme sounds great.  Additionally, there should be a
SQUEAKRC environment variable which overrides the default locations the
config file would be looked for.  So the order of configuration options
would be:

	1. command-line options
	2. environment variables
	3. the config file, which is the first that exists of $SQUEAKRC,
$HOME/.squeakrc, and /etc/squeak.whatever

Ideally every option can be set in every location (so, as Bert pointed
out, we could actually go ahead and add -ttys and SQUEAK_TTYS and modify
the serial code accordingly....)

Any volunteers?  :)

-Lex