[ANN][VM][SF] my Unix patches integrated into SF layout

Greg A. Woods woods at weird.com
Wed Jan 2 21:57:02 UTC 2002

[ On Tuesday, January 1, 2002 at 19:13:50 (-0400), Lex Spoon wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [ANN][VM][SF] my Unix patches integrated into SF layout
>
> Drats -- different awk's seem to do handle substr() differently -- just
> try the output of this under gawk versus mawk:
>
> 	gawk 'BEGIN {print substr("12:",0,2); }'

That's because you're using substr() incorrectly.  Try the following:

	$ANYAWK 'BEGIN {print substr("12:", 1, 2); }'

Note the definition (from "The One True AWK" manual page):

       substr(s, m, n)
              the n-character substring of s that begins at position m
              counted from 1.

As far as I can remember all AWK strings are counted from 1, not zero,
though it seems only the real AWK manual is careful enough to say this
explicitly for substr().

--
								Greg A. Woods