making the mac startup faster...

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Thu Jan 3 01:01:19 UTC 2002

>"Andrew C. Greenberg" <werdna at mucow.com> is widely believed to have written:
>
>>  One of my experiences is that it matters less how fast something
>>  actually is, rather than the expectation that something is about to
>>  happen.
>Exactly - basic UI rules that we knew about thirty years ago. It amazes
>how often it is ignored in 'modern' software.
>
>>  The user experience in Squeak is to display a partial, empty window
>>  while doing some silliness involving data operations, and upon the
>>  completion of the silliness, expands and begins to display the window.
>>  The display of the partial window creates an expectation in the minds of
>>  users that something is about to, and should, happen.
>This is really dumb. There is no need to create the window until and
>unless the beDisplay primitive is called. (possibly one might need some
>sort of window under some OSs in order to get events?) The change is
>really simple - that's how it works on Acorn and I did once do it for
>unix as well. It makes a headless system simpler; you just don't call
>the beDisplay method and no window appears. Duh.

Go on, add to my work load during year end taxes, of course I'm quite
willing to find some way to escape the paperwork.

I did look at this a while back, but it seems there are one or two
places where we grab the window information, OpenGL for example, and
during the startup phase. However it occurred to me that I can just
hide the window, then display it on the first real need for the
window. I'll consider an about box too. This has been missing
*forever* in Squeak and it's about time it was added...