demos and Re: [M206] how to do M206 diagrams in Squeak

Ross Boylan RossBoylan at stanfordalumni.org
Thu Jan 3 01:34:23 UTC 2002

Ah-- I loaded ConnectorMorphStates-nk.002.pr, not the NK- project you
mentioned below.

See below for some comments on demonstrations.

At 11:04 PM 1/1/02 -0800, Ned Konz wrote:
>On Sunday 30 December 2001 07:12 pm, Ross Boylan wrote:
> > >I can read in the connectors project from BSS, but when I try to load
> > >http://nedkonz.dhs.org:8080/Ned/uploads/12/M206.pr
> >
> > I get a message asking me how to convert ncButtonBar (from memory) to a
> > "modern class".
>
>Note that the M206 project doesn't do much that the BSS connectors project
>doesn't already do. Just a couple of customized shapes you probably don't
>need. Note that the button bar examples that come with the Connectors Demo
>project are pretty much official UML; the M206 stuff isn't. I wouldn't mess
>with it except as an example of how to make your own shapes.
>
>Hmm... which BSS project did you load (I think you need the
>NK-ConnectorsDemo.056.pr version)? It should have the NCButtonBar...
>It loads ok for me...
>
> > Here's the method it asks me to fill in
> > nCButtonBarbosfcebb0
> >
> >          ^ PutNewClassHere
> >
> > I'm at 3.2alpha #4599
> >
> > By the way, what is M206?  Some school class, or is it something more
> > august?
>
>Someone was taking an online class and wanted to do diagrams using some funky
>diagramming scheme. I posted an example to the list.
>
> > P.S.  Thanks for the tip on EventRecorder; it saved putting a lot of work
> > into something that wouldn't work.
>
>Great. Did you find something that would work?

Plain old text.  By the way, should I be able to bold face in a
workspace?  I can change the point size only with the menus I can see.

I was thinking of using some diagramming tool to describe the project
internals, but that would force me to add that project to mine, so I left
it out. .. Hmm, that makes me think: perhaps I could make the diagrams a
separate project, and say, first you must file in your project to get it to
work.  It will be nice when the new modules stuff is available.

It would be nice if squeak had a little demo system built in.  If you could
take the event recorder scripts and then convert them into messages to
windows (i.e., instead of capturing the click you capture the message
activating the menu item) it would be nice.  Probably a highly non-trivial
exercise.  I know I worked with automated testing tools for C++ graphic
applications that did something like this extremely poorly.  With smalltalk
it should be much easier, but that doesn't make it easy.

Or perhaps the application could be script-enabled in some fashion.  I
haven't looked at the scripting stuff enough to know if that's plausible.