Type Inferencer to the Rescue

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Thu Jan 3 02:17:33 UTC 2002

> > 1. parse trees for all methods
>
> In Oasis I've only needed these once per method- after having done some model
> building, I can discard these.  My experience was that these took up a HUGE
> amount of memory, so dropping them was nice.  The model I build that contains
> such information ( see below )  is much much smaller than the parse trees.

Yes, they do take up tens of megabytes.  Very sad.

However, for many reasons, I'm doing it anyway.  Here's a few:

	1. It needs the parse trees while it's running, anyway, and so you
still need the RAM.

	2. It can be optimized later.

	3. Type inference is well worth 50 MB of RAM.

	4. Memory is cheap, anyway.  50MB is somewhere around the price of 10
gorditas.

> > 2. a senders-of table, to avoid searching through the system
> > 3. an implementors-of table, again to avoid searching
>
> I don't use tables, but this sort of functionality is an explicit part of what
> could be called a message trace model.  That model should be useable by lots
> of different analysis tools, not just the ones in Oasis.

Awesome.  I can't wait!

-Lex