Project Publishing issues

Ross Boylan RossBoylan at stanfordalumni.org
Thu Jan 3 03:20:34 UTC 2002

I've noticed the following problems when I publish a project:

1. Several objects in the project are related through the #when:send:to
event mechanism.  Not all the dependencies survive intact, though it looks
as if some do.  The one that didn't involved one of the published Morphs as
a receiver; the others had non-graphical receivers.  It may also matter
that the source of the notifications kept its dependencies in the
system-wide EventsFields, rather than its own instance variable (like
EventModel).

2. The key data are rooted in a class variable of one of the project's
classes.  The data made it across, but the variable is nil.

Can anyone suggest a work around or fix for these problems?  I think I
remember someone else commenting that publishing can break
dependencies.  I'm not sure how it works for update/changed stuff.

Is there a way to get prolog and cleanup code into the project (e.g., in
its change set)?  If so, I could try (for problem 2) something horrible like
MyClass setClassVariable: MyClass allInstances first
since there's only one instance.  I'm not sure if things would be in a
proper state for it to work, though.

3. I also found an interesting problem and solution.  I had a class accessor
MyClass>>ross
	^RossInstance
where RossInstance was a global variable.  When I tried to read the
resultant project in I got an unrecognized key error.  I got around this by
deleting the method from the change set.  (It seems likely that rewriting
to Smalltalk at: #RossInstance might fix the problem also.)

4. Is there a way to move a project you have published to your local disk
to the server without going through the entire publishing process?  I'm
publishing locally to test that it's working.  When it is, it would be nice
to be able to ship the project file off directly.