[OT] Writing a parser for BASIC in Smalltalk/Squeak ?

Andy Stoffel Andrew.Stoffel at jenzabar.net
Thu Jan 3 19:50:30 UTC 2002

Lex Spoon said.....:

> "Andy Stoffel" <Andrew.Stoffel at jenzabar.net> wrote:
> > This is very off-topic (I think anyway)...
> >
> > I was wondering if anyone has any links/sources/information pointers
> > on writing a parser for other languages in Smalltalk ? Even just a
> > starting point would be useful...
> >

> I can give some general pointers, if that is what you are
> looking for.

Yes. :-). Thanks.

> I dunno nothing about this Compaq Basic thing, though!

Not a problem..... that's just what the stuff I want to
deal with originates in. I just mentioned it  to provide
a little more info on what I want to do....

> First, Smalltalk doesn't change writing interpreters any more than it
> changes much of any program.  It's a perfectly fine language for it.

Hmmmm... I wasn't thinking interpreter/compiler but it could be
looked at that way. The "difference" being my goal is not to
end up with something that "runs" but with something
"flow chart"-like... I want to be able to "feed" my
source to an object and get a good idea of its' form/function
(sort of deconstructing/decompiling it....

> Here are some broad phases you will need to worry about:

Thanks. Very helpful & some things to think about.....

> Overall, good luck and have fun!  Writing language processors
> is as good as programming gets, IMHO.  :)

Thanks.

-Andy-