Primitive failure with second version of JPEGReadWriter2Plugin

Joshua 'Schwa' Gargus schwa at cc.gatech.edu
Sat Jan 5 07:07:00 UTC 2002

Hi Karl,

Is the error in:
primJPEGWriteImage:onByteArray:form:quality:progressiveJPEG:errorMgr:?

If so, I'm getting the same error.  Um... (hack, hack, hack)

Ah-ha!  Try revert to the previous version of that method by Andreas
(11/27/2001 ar 00:48) and regenerate the plugin.

The old version had the two lines:
formBits _self cCoerce: (interpreterProxy fetchPointer: 0 ofObject: form)  to: 'unsigned *'.
formBitsAsInt _ interpreterProxy fetchInteger: 0 ofObject: form.

I don't understand the intention of the second line, since Andrew
Greenberg's chapter of the New Blue Book says: "fetchInteger:ofObject
will fail unless the oop corresponds to a SmallInteger, and
fetchPointer:ofObject: will fail if the oop corresponds to a
SmallInteger".  Therefore, one of the two lines is guaranteed to fail;
it turns out to be the second.

Juan, could you shed some light on this change?

Thanks very much for the plugin,
Joshua