GPG plugin (was Re: [ANN][VM][SF] my Unix patches integrated into SF layout)

Hans-Martin Mosner hmm at heeg.de
Sat Jan 5 08:13:56 UTC 2002

Tim Rowledge wrote:

> "Lex Spoon" <lex at cc.gatech.edu> is widely believed to have written:
>
> >  And I've thought GPGPlugin would
> > be nice, to hook into Celeste.
> I was just about to post a message asking about this. Some form of
> ability to handle encrypted mail would be pretty handy. There's quite a
> bit to it from some discussions I've had recently with a friend
> that wrote much of the original SSL stuff. Considering that we are
> discussing seriously subversive topics here that impact M$'s plans to
> take over everything we should be more careful to encrypt it.
>
> tim

I'm currently working on PGP support entirely within Squeak. I've
implemented keyring parsing, DSA signature checking and basic Triple-DES
encryption. CAST5 will follow soon since that's the default algorithm in
PGP 6, which I use. It's currently all loose ends, and I have not yet
successfully encrypted/decrypted anything with it, but I could at least
verify the (non-RSA) signatures on my keyring.
Stay tuned.

Of course it's much easier to link to a plugin, but some platforms
probably will have difficulties with it, therefore I'm favoring the
all-Squeak way (with optional plugin support for performance).

Cheers,
Hans-Martin